Sunday, 27 July 2014

Greyhound Rescue - The Beginning.

I've been wanting a dog for a while, but I'm afraid of certain dogs such as bull terriers, rottweilers etc. However, I adore dogs like labradors, spaniels, beagles and so on.

My husband point blank refused to let us have another pet - we're cat people really and have had cats - so I gave up asking.

Then, through my writing friends, I became Facebook friends with a lovely lady called Christine Stovell, who's written a delightful book - Only True in Fairytales.  One of the characters is an adorable greyhound called Gracie.

I decided to look greyhounds up, and was amazed to see that they'd be the perfect dog for us. They apparently don't bark a lot, are very laid back and gentle, don't shed as much hair as most other dogs, and - contrary to what people think - they don't need mega amounts of exercise.

I'm a great believer in fate and signs telling you that something is meant to be, and it was just strange how this all seemed to come about.

I then looked at some rehoming centres, and the photos of the doggies, all needing a home, broke my heart.

I worked on Paul - my husband - a bit more, and was stunned when he gave in and said okay, we could think about it.

We were due to visit his brother in Weymouth, and it just so happened that we'd be going past the Retired Greyhound Trust in Hontion. I'd already been on their website, and seen a dog I liked the look of, so Paul suggested we call in on the way.

We made an appointment, turned up at the allotted time, and saw Cherry - the dog I liked. We took her out for a short walk, and I think we both fell in love with her there and then.

She's only eighteen-months-old, but, because she'd lost a toe on her front foot when she was a baby, she wasn't suitable to race, so her carers decided to find a home for her. Thankfully the RGT took her in.

I've got the top half of one of my fingers missing, so Cherry and I have something special in common, another sign that it was meant to be.

So, pending the home visit from RGT next weekend, we'll be the new owners of a beautiful greyhound.

I hope and pray it goes well, because I'll be devastated if we can't have her, she's got a piece of my heart already.








8 comments:

  1. I know a lot of rescue greyhounds and they are without doubt one of the most gentle, sweet natured dogs you can find. The Retired Greyhound Trust do a wonderful job. Cherry looks beautiful and I hope she is soon home with you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherry is gorgeous! Last year I met an ex racing greyhound called Leonard. I fell in love with him and swore that, when my current two mongrels are...gone, I shall adopt a greyhound. Best of luck to you all, and I really hope Cherry comes home with you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a couple who adopted a retired greyhound. She was enormous but very gentle and careful of the husband who had had a stroke and was not very steady on his feet. She also got on well with their cats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. I'll update this as soon as I have some more news x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so hope you get her, Tina. She looks like a lovely dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll all be waiting for this beautiful lady's arrival this week! So lovely to read some good news at a time when there's so much sadness and sorrow in the world. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. looking forward to seeing photos of Cherry's homecoming
    a huge welcome to the sighthoundsforlife forum. everyone on there is sighthound mad. We should warn you they are very addictive and one is never enough.

    ReplyDelete